The use of magnets and magnetic fields in healing certain illnesses has been researched for long. People have been known to use magnetic necklaces, bracelets, shoe inserts and mattresses to get the said benefits. However, there is a difference between the static magnets and pulsed electromagnetic fields and therefore, both can co-exist to provide therapeutic benefits.
Static Magnets and Pulsed Electromagnetic Field
The magnets that we are accustomed to using in our daily lives are static magnets. These are the magnets that we stick on the refrigerator, use in bracelets, necklaces and as shoe inserts. The static magnets have a definite magnetic field and it does not change.
On the other hand, the pulsed electromagnetic field devices of PEMFs are devices that produce pulsed electromagnetic field that is changeable. The device produces energy when electricity is passed through the winding copper coils inside the applicator. This way a much larger and a dynamic magnetic field, is created. The magnetic field thus created has the ability to mimic the normally generated electrical currents and therefore, helps in stimulating the cells, firing the muscles inducing contraction or expansion, induce cell growth and produce other effects.
Static magnets are not able to penetrate deep inside the body and therefore not provide long sustaining results. However, if they must be used to treat a condition, they must be stronger in intensity and must be applied for longer periods.
On the other hand, PEMFs can penetrate the body deeply even through the bones as if they are transparent. This means that PEMF can provide better treatment with lesser intensity and frequency of the electromagnetic field.
In the case of static magnets, the body may become accustomed to the magnets as the field created remains unchanged. On the contrary, PEMF devices produce a cascading effect within the body. This way the body never gets accustomed to the electromagnetic field created by the PEMF device.
Another difference that exists between static magnets and PEMF is that the treatment sessions could be shorter in the case of PEMF while the intensity of the magnetic field would be less as compared to that provided by static magnets.
Therefore, there are subtle differences between the two types of magnets. The discussion here does not denote that PEMF is better as each of these therapies have their own benefits. While static magnets are good for use in the treatment of certain types of illnesses, PEMF is better at others.
PEMF Treatment Principles
PEMF or Pulsed Electromagnetic Field therapy is an alternative therapy that is making waves for its therapeutic benefits. The therapy is known to provide cellular treatment thereby stimulating them to resume their function and perform better. However, before you begin treatment through the PEMF therapy, you need to know its basic principles. Here are some treatment principles of PEMF following which you can establish a timeline that would be required for the said healing process:
- The magnetic fields created by the PEMF devices penetrate the body as if it wasn’t there. Even the bones pose no problem and appear to be transparent.
- It is important to understand the coil design of your device as different devices have different coils. The coil design would determine the shape of the magnetic field produced by the device. This would be essential to understanding the placement and usage of the applicator.
- The intensity of the magnetic field created by the device is lowered if the distance between the patient and the device is too much.
- The extent and severity of the problem decide the amount of time of magnetic fields required to heal the problem over a period of time.
- Each session of PEMF treatment begins anew as there may be changes in the body between the sessions which could be once or twice a day or twice or thrice a week. The intensity and frequency of the magnetic field would depend upon how the body is responding to the treatment. With each successive session, the intensity and/or frequency could be lowered but only on the recommendation of a practitioner.
- The PEMF devices produce electromagnetic waves in the form of ripples. These ripples stay on for a long period of time before they completely die out. Therefore, there should be appropriate gaps between successive treatment sessions.
- The body may develop tolerance towards single frequency treatment. Therefore it is essential that to gain maximally, you need to vary the frequency slightly.
- PEMFs find it hard to treat/heal tissues that have depleted. Nutritional support, in this case, is required for the PEMFs to show their results. The electrolytes and ions like calcium, potassium, and sodium need to be at normal levels in the body to show positive results.
- Moving an on is much easier and quicker than rebuilding a tissue
- Patients can experience better muscle energy with PEMF
- PEMF can be used as a preventive measure or a health maintenance program. It can reduce stress and depression.